Skip to content

General Information

Important Disclaimer: As an international student, the maintenance of your legal status is ultimately your responsibility. It is your responsibility to understand and follow the rules and regulations that govern your status and visa (e.g., 8 CFR § 214.2(f)). The Office of Global Engagement (“GE”) and International Student & Scholar Services provide support and information related to U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J status at Utah State University but are not ultimately responsible for your status and visa. GE and ISSS staff are not attorneys and any information provided by GE and ISSS should not be construed as legal advice. Individuals are welcome to consult a qualified immigration attorney for specific legal advice, particularly in complicated cases.

I-901 SEVIS Fee

Social Security Number Application Process

Study in the States

Utah Driver License Division
  • Utah Limited-Term Driver License
  • Required Documents
  • The State of Utah requires you to have a Utah driver’s license if you “remain in the state for an aggregate period of six months or more during any calendar year”
  • A social security number is required for a driver’s license. You will need to obtain a denial letter from the social security office if do not have a social security number and you are not employed.
Visiting Scholars USU Access Form

​Immigration Documents FAQs

My entry visa is expiring. Do I need to get a new visa?
You are able to remain in the USA and continue your program, even with your entry visa expiring. You will only need a valid entry visa if you leave the U.S. and want to reenter.  


Can I travel on a previous entry visa if I have a new Form I-20 or I transferred to a new school?
Yes. A valid F-1 visa is valid for travel, regardless of the school listed on the visa. Refer to this article on Study in the States for more information. ​

What should I do with my old I-20s? 
Keep them!  They are an important and necessary record of your student status. You will need copies of your current and all previous I-20s for any change to your immigration status in the future.

What should I do if my I-20/DS-2019 is going to expire before I can graduate?
Request a Program Extension prior to it expiring by completing the Program Extension (F-1 or J-1) Request in the ISSS portal.

What do I need to do if I received notification of approval of change of status (e.g. H-1B, Permanent Residency)?
Upload your I-797A notification through the New Document Upload record. We will assure your SEVIS record is completed according to the change of status authorization date noted on the Form I-797A.


Change of Status FAQs

What can I do if I want to change my status? e.g., F-1 to F-2, J-2 to F-1, etc.​
There are 2 ways for you to change your status in the USA:​

1. Depart the USA., apply for a new visa at a U.S. embassy/ consulate, re-enter the USA. using the new visa. You will gain the class of admission associated with the visa you present to the Customs and Border Patrol official.

2. Apply for a Change of Status to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS - Form I-539). You will receive a new class of admission if the application is approved. USCIS will include the updated Form I-94 showing this new class of admission on the approval notice.

Please note: 

  • There may be delays to the processing of the new visa
  • The visa application may be denied
  • The processing time for Form I-539 applications takes ~13 - 17 months
  • You should not undertake activities related to the visa status for which you are applying unless they are allowed for the visa status you currently have
  • You should maintain the requirements for your current visa status while waiting for the application to be adjudicated
  • You will need to apply for the new visa if you travel outside the USA after being approved for the change of status
  • Exiting the USA before the application is adjudicated cancels the application​Contact an immigration attorney for further guidance if you are considering a change of status

Request FAQs 
How do I submit a request?
  1. Go to
  2. Click “Login”
  3. Enter A# and strong Password
  4. Click “Student Forms
  5. Scroll down until you find the request you are looking for on the right side of the screen (e.g. OPT)
  6. Click on the request
  7. Carefully read the learning content instructions before proceeding
  8. Answer any questions that are part of the request
  9. Upload all required documents (asterisk means it’s required)
  10. Some requests require approval from your academic advisor. Enter their name and email in that section
  11. Click submit
  12. If you have started but not yet submitted a request, will show up in the “Pending Requests” panel on your profile and you can go back later to edit/submit 
We do ask that you give us 3 - 5 business days to review your application. You can also always email if you have questions and we will be happy to help you!

Transfer-Out FAQs

What do I need to do to transfer my SEVIS record to another institution?
Complete the transfer-out form on the ISSS Portal. You can submit the other institution's transfer-in form here for your primary immigration adviser to complete as needed. 

What should be my transfer release date? 
This is the date we release your record to the new institution. We cannot release your record while you are still studying or are engaged in academic activities at USU. It also needs to be before the end of your 60-day grace period if you completed your program at USU.

Can I continue with my Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment after you transfer my record?
No, your employment authorization ends once we transfer your SEVIS record, even if the dates on your EAD card are valid. See the Study in the States website to learn more.  

How long do I have to transfer-out after my program of study is complete or my program end date?

We can transfer F-1 visa student records within the 60-day grace period. We can only transfer J-1 visa records before the program end date.

Can I remain in the USA after a transfer and before my new program start date?
Yes. However, you may not work after the SEVIS release transfer date to the other institution. Also, you must enroll in the next session offered at the new institution (e.g. transfer release date of May 23rd and the next session start date is August 25th can remain in the USA).